Databases and SQL for Data Science
|Hybrid (In-Person & Live Webinars)||To be confirmed||07:00 PM - 08:30 PM||Dubai Knowledge Park||5,500 AED|
Much of the world’s data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. Working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist.
The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment.
The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning. Indeed, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. Moreover, you will learn how to create your own database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs, you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python.
Unit 1 – Getting Started with SQL
- Overview of SQL for Data Science
- Introduction to Databases
- SELECT Statement
- COUNT, DISTINCT, LIMIT
- INSERT Statement
- UPDATE and DELETE
Unit 2 - Relational Databases and Tables
- Relational Database Concepts
- Creating a Database Instance
- Types of SQL Statements (DDL vs. DML)
- CREATE TABLE Statement
- ALTER, DROP and Truncate Table
Unit 3 – Searching, Sorting and Grouping Data
- Using String Patterns and Ranges
- Sorting Result Sets
- Grouping Result Sets
- Built-in Database Functions
- Date and Time Built-in Functions
- Sub-Queries and Nested Selects
- Working with Multiple Tables
Unit 4 – Accessing Databases using Python
- How to Access Databases using Python
- Writing Code using DB-API
- Connecting to Relational Databases
- Creating Tables, Loading Data and Querying Data
- Analyzing Data with Python
Unit 5 – Advanced SQL
- Stored Procedures
- ACID Transactions
- Joins Overview
- Inner Joins
- Outer Joins
- Professionals or students interested to learn how to extract data from relational databases and analyze it with Python.
- Future Data Analysts, Data Science Professionals or Engineers.
- No prior technical experience is required to benefit from this course.
The participants who have successfully completed this course are encouraged to take our Artificial Intelligence Professional Program.
I've attempted to learn similar skills in my own time in the past, and have always found it difficult to persist beyond the beginner level. The course at Innosoft is intensive - 3 hours a day, over 10 days. This immersive approach, in my view, is the absolute best way to learn these difficult skills. The instructor took me from an absolute beginner to being able to fully engage with the Data Science literature available now, both from a theoretical and a coding point of view.